Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Question for the Ladies, please.

Debbie.
    Debbie.

Question for the Ladies, please. Empty Question for the Ladies, please.

Post  Debbie. Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 am

Hello!

Okay, I have been skirts and dresses only for around... scratch I guess 5 months now. It's been a wonderful blessing, and it's changed me in many ways. After 5 months though, I still get tons and tons and tons of questions about why I dress that way, what makes me think I'm different, and the infamous "Oh, you're one of those?" Here's my question for those of you who are also skirts and dresses only... How do you respond to those people? I don't mind being questioned, because if nothing else it allows me to witness to them. But sometimes it's so akward and downright intimidating! I usually share a verse if I have time.. or I may say that I believe it's modest and biblical. But I was just wondering how you ladies answer the questions.(Hopefully there are enough ladies on this forum to get a discussion going, haha! If not you guys may have to do some hypothetical thinking. tongue )

Thank you,
    Deborah.
    graceforme

Question for the Ladies, please. Empty Re: Question for the Ladies, please.

Post  graceforme Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Debbie. wrote:Hello!

Okay, I have been skirts and dresses only for around... scratch I guess 5 months now. It's been a wonderful blessing, and it's changed me in many ways. After 5 months though, I still get tons and tons and tons of questions about why I dress that way, what makes me think I'm different, and the infamous "Oh, you're one of those?" Here's my question for those of you who are also skirts and dresses only... How do you respond to those people? I don't mind being questioned, because if nothing else it allows me to witness to them. But sometimes it's so akward and downright intimidating! I usually share a verse if I have time.. or I may say that I believe it's modest and biblical. But I was just wondering how you ladies answer the questions.(Hopefully there are enough ladies on this forum to get a discussion going, haha! If not you guys may have to do some hypothetical thinking. tongue )

Thank you,
    Deborah.

Hi there,

I guess my first question is why do you feel that you can only wear skirts or dresses? Do you feel that you are being more "righteous" if you wear them? I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering. I only ask because I have known women who were convinced that they were behaving more "holy" by wearing long dreses or skirts, and not wearing slacks. And it's not necessarily Biblical at all. Modesty is the key, not the item of clothing. My feeling is that you should go with your conviction about it, and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

If I were you, I would simply respond to questions this way. "I wear dresses and skirts because I feel more comfortable in them." Simple answer. It really has nothing to do with them, only with how you feel.

I personally don't feel that there's anything wrong with women wearing slacks. I do believe in modesty, so they shouldn't be real tight, and clothing should not be revealing. I don't even own a dress or skirt. I even wear slacks to church and I play music up front. No one in my congregation takes offense or even cares.

God Bless.
    Billie

Post  Billie Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Debbie! sunny
    I remember when you shared with all of us that you felt in your heart to do this.. Smile and some of us said, 'stand with how you feel..think Cody and Doc and a few others'
    ..like graceforme..I think you should stick with what you feel the Lord wants you to do! And if, after I told them my convictions? I'd say...very straight forward ..'you know..I LIKE wearing skirts and dresses..just as YOU LIKE wearing pants and t- shirts!'Try to share with them your honest convictions...some might listen and respect your feelings..others may not be so nice..
    We all will come up against 'the world' and their thinking..we have to be true to what the Lord is asking us to do. I admire your stand..we love you and know that you are doing this out of your love for the LORD. flower I will be in prayer for you..I know its a lonely place sometimes. I hope I helped a little?
    Love,
    your sister,
    Billie
    graceforme

Post  graceforme Thu May 14, 2009 5:30 am

Billie wrote:Hi Debbie! sunny
    I remember when you shared with all of us that you felt in your heart to do this.. Smile and some of us said, 'stand with how you feel..think Cody and Doc and a few others'
    ..like graceforme..I think you should stick with what you feel the Lord wants you to do! And if, after I told them my convictions? I'd say...very straight forward ..'you know..I LIKE wearing skirts and dresses..just as YOU LIKE wearing pants and t- shirts!'Try to share with them your honest convictions...some might listen and respect your feelings..others may not be so nice..
    We all will come up against 'the world' and their thinking..we have to be true to what the Lord is asking us to do. I admire your stand..we love you and know that you are doing this out of your love for the LORD. flower I will be in prayer for you..I know its a lonely place sometimes. I hope I helped a little?
    Love,
    your sister,
    Billie

You are so right - it IS a lonely place sometimes. When my daughter was in elementary school, she always asked me to pick her up so she wouldn't have to attend the Halloween party. I remember telling her that we were "different." Her reply, "I know, Mom, but sometimes being different is lonely." Such insight from a child.

My thought on convictions is this: If you have a conviction, go with it. If we disregard that conviction, it will be easier to disregard the next one. It gets easier and easier, until finally we don't seem to have any convictions at all. Not good.

Many blessings to all.
    Here Am I
    Here Am I

Post  Here Am I Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 am

graceforme wrote:
    Billie wrote:Hi Debbie! sunny
    Love,
    your sister,
    Billie
    You are so right - it IS a lonely place sometimes. When my daughter was in elementary school, she always asked me to pick her up so she wouldn't have to attend the Halloween party. I remember telling her that we were "different." Her reply, "I know, Mom, but sometimes being different is lonely." Such insight from a child.

My thought on convictions is this: If you have a conviction, go with it. If we disregard that conviction, it will be easier to disregard the next one. It gets easier and easier, until finally we don't seem to have any convictions at all. Not good.

Many blessings to all.
    First, I'd like to say that it's great to see you made it over here, 'grace'.

I wear skirts exclusively, even wearing a jean skirt when I garden or do chores. I do that because I feel a personal conviction to do so, as I let my hair grow long (my 'covering'). I do not do these things because I either want to 'look holy' or think I am more 'holy' because I do, but because of a heart-felt conviction.

When I first got saved and started going to church, I went to a more liberal Presbyterian church. The people were nice, and I enjoyed it. I wore nice slacks, as did some of the other ladies.

One Wednesday I attended an independent Baptist church. Every lady in there was in a skirt or dress, but they did not treat me differently because I was wearing slacks. However, I felt that I probably should try to 'fit in', and started wearing skirts. I eventually joined that church, and went there for about seven years.

When I started wearing skirts, I did it to 'fit in', but I found that I actually enjoyed wearing them, as to me a skirt is way more comfortable than slacks. And then, as I grew in knowledge of the Lord, I saw the Scriptural references to dressing modestly, and felt that this was why I should wear skirts.

I know good, Godly women who wear jeans or slacks, and I think no less of them for doing so. I don't think it's an area in which it is 'right' or 'wrong'.

But I am glad that Debbie is following as she feels the Lord is leading her.

And to the original question: if someone asks me why I wear skirts, I answer depending on who is asking the question. For some people, I say that I like how loose and comfortable a skirt is, and for others, I explain how I believe that it is Scriptural for a woman to be modest.

Continue to stand up for what you believe in, Debbie. Your stedfastness will make an impression on others, including non-believers.
    Cody
    Cody
    Admin

Post  Cody Mon May 18, 2009 2:53 pm

I think it's great when women only wear dresses and skirts. I would say it defines the woman more when they wear dresses rather than pants like the men do, but that is just my thoughts and my thoughts are probably nothing. I don't think women that are wearing pants are sinning.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:55 am