Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

The Nameless Rich Man

Timotheus
    Timotheus

The Nameless Rich Man Empty The Nameless Rich Man

Post  Timotheus Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

I don't know where I read this, whether it was here or elsewhere, or even in a sermon I head, but I would like to share with you an interesting aspect of Hell. But first let us read the account of The Rich Man and Lazarus

16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

This chapter of Luke gives us an interesting insight into Hell. We see that in Hell, we still have all of our basic senses, we can see, we can feel, we can talk, we can hear, and so forth.

Another very interesting fact is that this Rich Man, is called just that, a Rich Man.

Now let us refer to a passage in John

John 10:14- I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

27- My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

This is the Lord Jesus Christ speaking, saying that He knows His sheep.

Notice, he who is in Abrahamas bossom is known, he is Lazarus, but he who is not known by God, and is not saved, remains nameless.

It seems only fitting to me, that one of the biggest things people try to do is make their name last for generations. You have to do something great, make your mark in the world. So on, and so on, etc, and etc. We have probably all heard that rhetoric.

To put it simply as this, Without Christ from what I see in the scripture your name is forgotten. You perish in a lake of fire, eternally seperated from God, and even more so, your name shall not be remembered.

What a striking blow this is against the people who live in the world, they will not be remembered, and it is all vanity.

I always thought this was most amazing, and thought I would share it.

God Bless,
    -Timothy

P.S. any other thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
    Debbie.
    Debbie.

The Nameless Rich Man Empty Re: The Nameless Rich Man

Post  Debbie. Thu May 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Great post! cheers

I like verse 25:
    "But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented."

It reminds me that my suffering here on earth is temporary, and my "comfort" lies in heaven!

My old English teacher took us for a walk to a cemetery once and let us look around. Almost all of the head stones were broken and worn. Most of the names were impossible to read... He told us that this lifetime passes so fast and even if we're remembered a short time after we pass on, it's very unlikely we'll be remembered on this earth forever. He said that only the things that we do for God will matter, and everything else is vanity. It really made you stop and think... to consider all the lives and names that just faded away.

Again, great post...
    Kiwi
    Kiwi

Post  Kiwi Thu May 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Amen, Bro. Timotheus.

There are those who claim that this account in Luke 16 is a parable and therefore only fugurative or symbolic, not to be taken literally, like we do, amen. One of the greatest arguments against this error is the fact that Lazarus IS named, making this a credible true event, unlike every parable in the Bible where personal names are never mentioned.

You highlight a sad truth about the unsaved being forgotten, here are some additional verses to ponder:

Psalms 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

Psalms 31:12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
    Here Am I
    Here Am I

Post  Here Am I Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 am

Amen.

Kiwi, I was thinking the same thing, about the rich man's name being blotted out.

Debbie, what a wonderful teacher you had! And you were blessed by his teaching, I can see.

Timotheus, thanks for your insightful post. I appreciated reading that, first thing this morning.

God bless you, all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 8:22 pm